With the cold days of winter still upon us we tend to spend more time indoors, why not use that time to our advantage. Mid-winter home maintenance is a great way to cut down on costly home repairs, and will keep you from doing extra work in the spring! Regular maintenance and cleaning not only increase your home's value, but will also save you money in the long run. Here are some great ways to insure your home is happy and healthy during the cold winter months.
Inside The Home
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Perform monthly testing on your Security System to ensure communications to monitoring center are working properly.
- Change your air filter in your HVAC.
- Clean tile grout.
- Check pipes and plumbing for leaks.
- Due to the low humidity, it’s a good time for drywall/plaster repairs and painting.
- Regularly check or set automations on smart thermostats to maximize efficiency.
- Check electrical outlets to make sure they’re not overloaded.
- Clean dryer filters to help prevent fires.
- Clean the inside of the stove.
- Check dryer vent and lint traps.
- Check electrical appliances, outlets and fuses.
- Clean chimneys and fireplaces.
- Create or update a home inventory.
- Organize storage areas.
- Donate any clothes, coats and shoes that are in good shape that you don’t use.
Outside The Home
- Keep snow shoveled away from your foundation, garage, parking spots and driveways.
- Check for and remove ice-dams on your roof, gutters and take down low hanging icicles.
- Make sure downspouts and gutters have not been affected by snow and ice.
- Clean up your yard and remove any branches/debris.
- Check caulking around doors/windows for deterioration.