Great Ideas To Prepare Your Home For Fall
It’s that time of year when the days are getting shorter, and fall is just around the corner. This is a great time to prepare your home for those cool fall nights... and eventually freezing temperatures.
Here’s a quick checklist to help get your home in order for colder weather:
- Clean off and cover your outdoor furniture
- Plant your bulbs for springtime flowers
- Clean the gutters and install gutter guards to prevent backups when the wet season hits
- Clean on and around your outdoor HVAC units-obstructions can cause up to a 30% energy increase
- Prepare your chimney for cozy nighttime fires with an annual safety inspection and cleaning
- Replace your batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Prepare your furnace for heating season with seasonal maintenance and change filters
- Keep the cold weather out by replacing dry or damaged weather stripping on all doors and windows
- Check your home for drafts and cold spots
- Check your outside water spigots for leaks and put away all water hoses
- Verify all exterior wall water pipes are insulated to prevent freezing and burst pipes
- Check all flashlight batteries and stock up on supplies for days with potential power outages.
- Prepare your generators and give them a test run
- Test winter equipment
- Fertilize your lawn, and trim your landscaping for dead or damaged tree limbs
It is important to prepare your home for the fall and winter seasons. With a little planning and preventative maintenance, you can be assured that your home is ready to endure the winter months ahead.